January, even in tropical Florida, can see some very cool temperatures. Although the Tampa Bay area rarely sees the ice and snow of more northern areas; this is our Winter. It seems fitting that January 6 is National Cuddle Up Day. Loved ones are encouraged to cuddle up and stay warm. This year cuddling might look very differently, but being at home, in comfortable clothes, relaxing; could be a great way to celebrate.
All about National Cuddle Day
- Cuddling first appeared in the English language around the 1500’s
- Temple Grandin invents the Hug Machine to help individuals alleviate autism symptoms in 1992
- Research in 2003 at the University of North Carolina showed health benefits from hand holding and hugging
- Portland, Oregon hosts the world’s first Cuddle Convention in 2015
- Cuddling releases the hormone oxytocin which reduces pain and gives us a “warm and fuzzy” feeling
Reading a book or snuggling with a pet are all forms of self-care we can practice on January 6. National Cuddle Up Day is a great day to take time for ourselves and to be comfortable. And if cuddling up isn’t the solution to any of your home comfort needs this year; The Comfort Authority is available 24/7 at (813) 518-8030 for your home heating and cooling issues.