Hurricane season in Florida is serious business. Hurricane season is June 1 through November 30. Besides the regular stormy days, the tropics send us some pretty serious storms this time of year. It’s best to be prepared for the possibility of a hurricane or tropical storm during this long period.
The Comfort Authority wants you and your family to be safe this hurricane season. We’ve come up with some hurricane preparedness steps that can help you feel organized and safe.
- Make sure you know your home’s zoning for evacuation and any local plans for evacuation. Ultimately, knowing what evacuation stage you will need to leave your home can keep you safe.
- Have a plan for a hurricane including evacuating, sheltering in place, and how you will communicate if regular communication is impossible.
- Make sure you have access to local emergency management alert systems like NOAA or FEMA.
- Have a minimum of 5 days of supplies for sheltering in place. Furthermore, don’t forget to plan for your pets, too!
- Have an evacuation bag packed for you and your family. Your bag should include important documents (preferably in a waterproof container), medications, bottled water, a first aid kit, cash, and phone chargers. Additionally, pet owners need to make sure they have their pet’s vaccination records, food, medications, leashes, and other necessary supplies.
- Clear all gutters, drains, and areas around your outside ac unit to prepare your property for stormy weather. TWe also recommends tree trimming.
- Make sure you are prepared to access funds if you are directly impacted by a storm. Have insurance policies and important paperwork related to this with you or saved electronically.
If you have any questions about your HVAC system and hurricane season, call us at (813) 518-8030.